Sunday, November 16, 2008

Blessed are ye...

We Mormons get called a lot of things....legalists...non-Christian...even "damned"
Now we can add "bigots, racist, intolerant, haters"
The last one is funny really. I have never in 40 years in my church, heard a hateful or even unkind remark about gay men or women in my church.
I have heard lots of things about families, and how important they are and how central to the Creator's plan and to the health of a culture and a nation.
Nana knows that Jesus said "Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets."
Prophets always got in trouble for telling the truth to the culture
in which they lived.
(Sign in SLC protest: "Keep Government Non-Prophet")

Here we are at the call center in our stake on election day.


Here we are at a sign waving out at Blackhawk......


...and another one on Monday night before election on Crow Canyon in the rain.
There was the most wonderful feeling at all these events.
It felt like Zion's Camp.

Well, except when that girl ran up with scissors and tried to slash the banner the Ferrell's were holding and then held the scissors up to their 16 year old daughter's throat. Then ran away. Yes, this really happened.
If you aren't on the side of a Judeo-Christian, Biblically-based, non-relativistic morality in the current culture wars, you will not understand. But this battle to keep marriage traditionally defined as between a man and a women is our Cultural Armageddon.
It is not about hating anybody. That is pure propaganda intended to silence our arguments.
It is about preserving the sacred order that God established the world on. As different as all the varied cultures of the world are, there are a few things on which they agree. Marriage is between man and woman. A week is seven days. (see Genesis)

Think I'm crazy?
This is Katy Perry.
She is exhibit 1.
Yes, it matters to the society if you start moving the fences and changing the norms.

Her song, "I kissed a girl and I liked it" was catchy, bright pop
and spent weeks at the top of the charts
A few of the lyrics:

This was never the way I planned
Not my intention
I got so brave, drink in hand
Lost my discretion
It's not what I'm used to
Just wanna try you on
I'm curious for you
Caught my attention
I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chap stick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
No, I don't even know your name
It doesn't matter
You're my experimental game
Just human nature
Too good to deny it
Ain't no big deal, it's innocent
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it

Notice the words: curious, felt right, experimental, human nature, just try

Well Katy: Here's what Nana knows. Narcissism is all about making what you like the center of your life, becoming your own little god. You're well on your way, and well on your way to influencing the teeny-bopper culture that listens to you and buys your records.
Luke 6:43 "For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither does a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes."

This is good fruit: A Forever Family

5 comments:

robin marie said...

perfect - thank you!

Lindsey Graves said...

I was thinking about this in church this last Sunday and even turned to a similar scripture, the more common one during the sermon on the mount about being persecuted for righteousness sake because I couldn't remember what the reward was... the kingdom of heaven, I can handle that. I've decided things aren't going to get better from here on out so better to just prepare within the home for the worst. Good luck to us all!

Sheryl said...

Thanks for the great post! You may be interested in a speech given by Neal A Maxwell titled 'Meeting the Challenges of Today'given at BYU October 10, 1978
In one paragraph he says,
"We are now entering a period of incredible ironies. Let us cite but one of these ironies which is yet in its subtle stages: we shall see in our time a maximum if indirect effort made to establish IRreligion as the state religion. It is actually a new form of paganism that uses the carefully preserved and cultivated freedoms of Western civilization to shrink freedom even as it rejects the value essence of our rich Judeo-Christian heritage."

S. Gibson said...

Loved this post, very well said. I agree with you about that Katy Perry song too. Ugh. It made me cringe when I heard it.

bajork12 said...

Love your blog so far.